Moving is one of life’s top three most stressful events and there are very people who enjoy packing up a home. With recommendations for reliable packers and movers, as well as trusted contractors and trades to do repairs or renovations on your home, Keystone helps improve this process for our clients. We can also help advise you on social items such as schools, recreation, clubs, transportation and neighbourhood destinations.
If you are organized and take time to plan your move, it can help things go smoothly. We recommend the following checklist, timeline, and packing tips.
One to two months before moving
- A thorough edit of your contents and personal items will help you determine what you want to take, throw out, donate to charity, or sell.
- Itemize and arrange important legal and administrative transfers including medical, financial, legal and education records.
- Choose and book good packing and moving companies. They book far in advance so be early to get the day you want.
- Give written notice to your landlord about the day you plan to move and any deposits owing.
- Make arrangements to transfer any home services or regular deliveries to your new home, including gardening, snow removal, mail, newspapers, magazines, diaper, grocery delivery, etc.
- Identify important retailers near your new home including gym, pharmacy, etc. and transfer any memberships or prescriptions.
- Update your personal identification with your new address.
Three weeks before moving
- Make arrangements for your children and your pets to be looked after during the move.
- Decide what to do with your plants and arrange how to move them if you will be taking them with you.
- Settle up borrowed and loaned items, collect items being repaired, cleaned, or in storage.
- Dispose of flammable items such as paint, aerosol cans, and cleaning fluids.
- Update bank, credit card companies, and any other monthly statement services or newsletters with your new address.
- Deplete the contents of your fridge, freezer, pantry and cupboards to minimize food waste.
Two weeks before moving
- Prepare and schedule any appliance moves.
- Pack decor and nonessential items.
- Book disconnections of utilities, phone and cable in your current home.
- Start planning your furniture arrangement at your new home and determine what you will need and what you will discard.
- If you do not have natural gas, have your oil tank read and filled. Keep the receipt for your legal professional.
One week before moving
- Pack personal items, important documents, and valuables in a safe and easily accessible place.
- Prepare garden hoses, lawn mowers, and other machinery.
- Clean and dry the fridge and freezer.
- Take down decor and items you are taking with you such as curtain rods, shelves, light fixtures, and mirrors.
- Prepare to dismantle and move any large power tools or recreational items such as bike / ski racks.
- If you hire packers, they will need a space to work.
- Mark fragile and valuable items which need extra care.
- Distinguish items you are taking with you and items being left for the new owners.
- Walk through the house once or twice to be sure nothing is left behind. Lock windows and doors, turn off lights, discontinue or turn off utilities.
- Leave any keys in a visible spot for the new residents.
- Make sure the utilities are connected.
- Confirm placement of large items including furniture, rugs, appliances.
- Double check items being unloaded against the inventory and be sure all items arrive.
- Make arrangements for installation of appliances.
- Confirm unpacking requirements.
Latest from Twitter
- Flood of new listings in Toronto not all that it seems... @TREBhome needs to scrub it's data for more accuracy: https://t.co/SiLXHit5Ai 04:16:45 PM June 16, 2017 from LinkedIn ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Flood of new listings in Toronto not all that it seems...TREB needs to scrub it's data for more accuracy: https://t.co/SiLXHit5Ai 04:14:07 PM June 16, 2017 from LinkedIn ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Renewed prov'l policies focus growth on transit hubs & built-up areas while Keeping protected Greenbelt lands: https://t.co/6kwQI7G5sl 12:22:33 PM May 21, 2017 from LinkedIn ReplyRetweetFavorite